The need for practical and common-sense strategies to attack one of the most critical emerging health concerns of our time has been addressed in the series, Healthy Bodies, Happy Kids. The theme-based books, with age-appropriate mascot characters that enhance visual appeal and student motivation, include sections on:
- Healthy diet;
- Body systems related to diet and exercise;
- Exercise and leisure for fitness;
- Self-esteem for a positive body image and a constructive attitude towards self-management in health;
- Media analysis involving recognition of food marketing techniques;
- Internet investigations, including a feedback site;
- Practical, inquiry-style activities based around relevant, real-life situations, using easily obtained resources such as junk mail and the newspaper.
Healthy Bodies, Happy Kids Book 3: Upper Primary aims to:
- Reduce the risk of child obesity and poor nutrition;
- Provide opportunities and motivation for physical activity;
- Foster a positive body image and promote self respect;
- Raise awareness of media influences on children.
The 4-book series also includes an informative, up-to-date and easy-to-use Resource Book that details background information to give teachers and parents insights into issues related to childhood obesity; together with age-appropriate activity books for use in the classroom or the home.
Author: Sandy Tasker